Storyboard Artist Internship this Summer at Disney Studios!
Great news for future storyboard artists: Walt Disney Animation Studios has just announced their 2013 Summer Internships for Story Artists!
Disney Features’ Summer Internship Program is an eight-week experience designed for current students studying art, design, animation, computer graphics, graphics engineering, film & media, and production management. Applicants must be a current student returning to school in the Fall of 2013.
Summer interns will have the unique opportunity to work directly with a Disney mentor as they explore all aspects of art, storytelling, and filmmaking. This immersive program offers hands-on experience focused on individual craft and multidisciplinary team collaboration.
The 2013 Summer Intern program will be held at Disney’s Burbank, CA studio starting Monday, June 17, 2013.
Story Artists translate story ideas into visual sequences. By working with other members of the production team, they will develop the cinematography and staging of the film; choosing initial camera placement and angles; defining action and camera movement. They must also convey the essence of storyline, scene structure, character emotion, and create action and humor in alignment with the overall direction of the film.
Portfolios demonstrated skills should include:
- Strong gestural draftsmanship, the ability to draw very loosely and roughly yet with clarity in character appeal and acting
- Strong understanding of cinematography and narrative staging with visually clear shot flow applied throughout work
- Versatile range of character-driven story sequences preferred. Showcase through a variety of genres and conveyed emotion including: comedy, action, romance, suspense, drama, musical
- Sequences do not need to be a full film in length but should have a clear beginning, middle, and end
- Strong understanding of acting and entertainment value
- Life Drawings required
- Sketchbook samples, animal zoo drawings required
- Character moments helpful
- Caricatures helpful
- Uploaded multipage PDF portfolios or digital animatics preferred
- The deadline for applications is Monday, April 16 at 11:59 PM PST
- You must be a current student returning to school in the Fall of 2013
- Create or update your online profile at at careers.disneyanimation.com/login where you must include a resume and reel/portfolio/reel breakdown (where applicable)
- You must upload a letter of recommendation from your university’s program chair to your online profile.
That’s all the info…good luck!